Sunday, December 7, 2008

Waiting in Joyful Hope

PRINTER FRIENDLY AVAILABLE HERE

The second week of advent begins today. Last week we lit one candle. This week we light two. If possible, have four candles ready, arranged in a circle like wreath. This will help your children learn about waiting.

Light two candles.


Pray this prayer. Have your child repeat phrase by phrase
with a pause in the middle
.

Dear Jesus,
it's hard to wait.
Pause a few seconds before continuing.
Help me be patient.

Read this Bible thought from Second Peter 3:8-9,14.
Have your child repeat phrase by phrase.

God is not slow.
God is not fast.
God is right on time.

Talk with your child about waiting for good things:
  • When I'm hungry, I'm waiting for _______.
  • When I'm sick, I'm waiting to __________.
Think of other examples,
  • for younger children, talk with them anything they are waiting to do like go to school, ride a two wheel bike, learn to swim, learn to ski, do whatever by themselves...
  • for kids who are bit older, think about things like this:
    When I'm in school, I'm waiting for ______. (recess)
    When I'm doing homework, I'm waiting _____.
    (to be done0
    When I'm in church, I'm waiting for ______. (treats or "church to be over!")
    When I'm in a car, I'm waiting to _______. (get there, be able to drive)
    When it's winter, I'm waiting for ______. (spring, lots of snow, playing in the snow)
After you have them talking and thinking about waiting for something good to happen, say something like this:
In Advent we practice waiting.
This week we light two candles. Next week we light three. Then... four... and then...
Christmas!

When we wait, it's good, because something GOOD is coming! Waiting is really good!


Pray this prayer. Have your child repeat phrase by phrase
with a pause in the middle
.

Dear Jesus,
it's hard to wait.
Pause a few seconds before continuing.
Help me be patient.
Add your own thoughts and prayers.

Read this Bible thought from Second Peter 3:8-9,14.
Have your child repeat phrase by phrase.

God is not slow.
God is not fast.
God is right on time.

Put out the candles.

No comments: