Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Wonder of It All

PRINTER FRIENDLY AVAILABLE HERE

Light three candles. (Tomorrow we'll light all four!)

Pray this prayer. Have your child repeat phrase by phrase.
Dear Jesus,
You made me special.
What do you want me to do?
When I find out
I'll try to obey.

Read this Bible thought from Luke 1:38.
Have your child repeat phrase by phrase.
Mary said,
"Here I am,
I am God's servant.
I want to do
what God wants me to."

Tell your child this story from Luke 1:26-38. If you used yesterday's story about Zechariah, tell your child that this is what happened next.
God had a important job for someone to do. He loved us so much that he wanted to come and be with us. How could God do that? It was amazing, but God decided to come to the earth as a baby; a baby who would grow to be a man.

So, God sent one of his angels as a messenger. What is an angel? An angel is part of God's army! When people see real angels, they are afraid! And this messenger angel, a powerful angel named "Gabriel..." God sent this angel to a young woman named Mary.

How would you feel if you saw a powerful angel? Mary was worried! But the angel said, "Don't be afraid! God is coming to be with you. And you will have a baby, and that baby will be the Son of God!"

Do you know what Mary said? She didn't say no. She didn't say maybe. She said "Yes!"

God wanted to do something very special in Mary's life. God wants to do something in our lives too.

Talk about a time when you believed God was telling you to do something special... maybe about being a mother or father!

What do you think God might be wanting YOU to do?
Talk about growing up and what kinds of things your son or daughter might do...

Let's pray and ask God to help us obey when he gives us something to do.

Pray this prayer. Have your child repeat phrase by phrase.
Dear Jesus,
You made me special.
What do you want me to do?
When I find out
I'll try to obey.

Read this Bible thought from Luke 1:38.
Have your child repeat phrase by phrase.
Mary said,
"Here I am,
I am God's servant.
I want to do
what God wants me to."

Put out the candles.

No comments: